Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lollipop, Lollipop (oh lolli lolli lolli)

These Lollipops were a quick fun prop for Pinocchio. We had some old ones in stock that were made from painted circled of plywood; they had been used, beat-up and faded and the director asked me if I could liven up the colors. I could, but not to my satisfaction (I will readily admit that my paint skills aren't what I would like them to be, though I'm learning). I initially thought of making them from bake-able clay, but after seeing the dance number and realizing they might be dropped, this seemed like less of a good idea.

I ended up turning back to one of my favorite materials, Crayola Model Magic.

I rolled out two long snakes. I used half a pack of Model Magic for each snake. They were about three feet long and between 1/4" and 3/8" diameter.

Then I twisted the two snakes together carefully, making sure not to break them or stretch them much.

Finally I rolled the twisted snake into a spiral, gently pressed it flat and smoothed the edges. I carefully twisted 1/4"dowels into the clay for the sticks.

The final lollipops were roughly 6" across.

If I were to do it again I would have done it sooner. Because of the thickness it took the Model Magic three full days until they were dry all the way though and usable in rehearsal

No comments:

Post a Comment